When surfing the internet for a decent mattress, mattress firmness is a crucial condition you should consider, even before taking a mattress quiz online.
Before we move further, if you can answer these three simple questions 100%, you don’t have to read this article.
- Is your current mattress the correct firmness for your favorite sleeping position?
- Do you know the best mattress firmness for your favorite sleeping position?
- Do you experience quality sleep at night? i.e., you don’t wake up tired or feeling pains in your neck, shoulder, back, and hips.
If you answered NO to any of those questions after reading this article, it would be a YES.
After reading this article, you will be confident to surf the internet or go to a physical store to buy a mattress with the right firmness that suits your favorite sleeping position.
These are the guide topics in this article
- What is a mattress firmness
- What to consider when choosing your mattress firmness
- Mattress guide for each sleeping position and recommended products
Sleep peacefully after reading this guide, and thank us later
What is Mattress firmness?
According to the sleep foundation, Firmness refers to how soft or hard a mattress feels. While each manufacturer may use its method to measure and describe firmness, we use a standard 10-point scale. Softer mattresses fall on the lower end, while firmer surfaces are on the higher end.
What to consider when choosing your mattress firmness
- Sleeping position
- Sleeping experience
- Body weight or type
- Mattress type
There are different types of sleeping positions, namely: side, stomach, back, and combination.
Side sleeping position refers to those that sleep on the side of the body, like Mary, applying pressure on the shoulders, hip, and neck…
Putting a pillow between your legs is vital for better spine alignment.
Also, sleep experts recommend that you sleep on your left side because it improves the health of your vital organs. The types of side sleeping positions in this category include:
- Log position: sleeping on the side with your legs straight
- Yearner position (popular among women): sleeping on your side with your hands in front and knee slightly bent
- Fetal position: (best position for pregnant women): the same as the yearner position; however, your head is slightly bent.
Stomach sleeping position refers to those that sleep on their stomach.
Here it’s vital to put a pillow in the low part of your abdomen; this will support a healthy night’s sleep and support your hips.
Back sleeping position refers to those that sleep on their back. This position prevents skin wrinkles but allows snoring. Thus, to experience a sounder sleep at night, don’t use a pillow if this is your sleeping position. The types of sleeping posts in the category include:
- Soldier position: sleeping with your back on the bed with your hands and feet straight
- Starfish position: sleeping with your back on the bed with your feet and arms slightly separated from your body.
Then finally, we have combination sleepers, those that sleep in different positions.
This article shall explain mattress firmness for each sleeping position to guide you in your choice of mattress firmness.
Here it’s simple. There are just two categories here. Hot and cold/warm sleepers.
If you are a cold/warm sleeper, you don’t generate heat from your body when you fall asleep. Thus, you don’t have so many problems, but a latex mattress is suitable if you want to get warmer when you sleep.
Now, for hot sleepers, those that generate heat from their body while sleeping at night, it’s suitable to get breathable mattresses that allow airflow. This kind of mattress guarantees a sleeping beauty night’s sleep.
Sleep with a smile on your face.
In this article, good mattresses would be suggested for hot sleepers
Body weight or type
Before you explore the market for a good mattress that gives you that ideal night experience, you must consider your body weight and the feel when you sleep on top of the mattress.
You might love to have a sleep-on-top feeling or a sink-in-mattress feeling while you’re sleeping.
However, all these feelings fall into the body weight and mattress firmness suitable to give you that perfect night’s sleep experience.
There are three types of body-weight sleepers:
- Lightweight sleepers range from 130 pounds and below
- Mid-weight sleepers range from 130 – 230 pounds
- Heavyweight sleepers range from 230 pounds and above
Knowing your body type will help you understand the right mattress firmness option to choose while shopping online.
6 Mattress Types To Choose From
Mattress type gives you a vivid idea of the mattress firmness you should consider when shopping online.
There are six types of mattresses:
- Innerspring mattress
- Pocketed coil mattress
- Memory foam mattress
- All foam mattress
- Latex mattress
- Hybrid mattress
Innerspring is an affordable mattress. It has springs built into it to support your sleeping position. It also bounces responsive. However, it can get noisy over time and also sags due to body weight.
Pocketed coil mattress
This type of mattress is handmade, expensive, and sophisticated. It’s more comfortable than an innerspring mattress. Also, pocketed coil mattresses don’t get noisy over time, unlike innerspring mattresses. The coils also support your sleeping position.
Memory foam mattress
Memory foam mattresses are also known as viscoelastic foam. They contour to body shape and weight and get back into shape when the body is released. They are ideal for side sleepers. Also, they absorb body movement. Memory foams are prone to overheating; thus, a gel-infused layer helps to cool the body at night.
All foam mattress
All foam mattresses are mattresses that don’t have supportive coils. Their layers include memory foam, transition layer, and support foam.
They usually come in flippable or one-sided forms. This mattress is ideal for all sleeping positions depending on their thickness and your body type.
Latex mattresses are either synthetic or natural. This mattress provides better comfort and support at night. It contours to body shape and weight and retracts quickly due to its latex. Latex foam is breathable, cooling, and absorbs body movement.
Hybrid mattresses have supportive pocketed coils and multiple layers of memory foam. It also absorbs body movements and motion transfer. This mattress is ideal for all sleeping positions depending on their thickness and your body type. Mattress firmness guide for each sleeping position with recommended products.
With all the criteria mentioned above, this section will walk you by hand through the suitable mattress firmness for your favorite sleeping position.
Choosing mattress firmness for your favorite sleeping position can be confusing sometimes.
Before choosing the right mattress firmness for your sleeping position, you should know if you’re a light, mid-weight, or heavy-weight sleeper.
Lightweight sleepers range from 130 pounds and below
Mid-weight sleepers range from 130 – 230 pounds
Heavyweight sleepers range from 230 pounds and above
How to choose mattress firmness for side sleepers
Now, if you’re a lightweight side sleeper, the mattress firmness option suitable for you is between 4.5 to 5.5 (soft, medium)
Best Mattress Firmness product for lightweight side sleepers
WinkBed is a pressure-relieving mattress that lets you spread out comfortably while sleeping. WinkBed’s gel-infused foam limits motion transfer and relieves pressure points.
Features of Winkbed mattress include:
- Pain relief solution: Waking up from a proposed long and peaceful sleep with different body pain isn’t a fulfilled sleep. However, WinkBed helps you fulfill a happy, healthy, and vibrant sleep because they focus more on the wellness of their customers than on being portrayed as a top mattress industry company. Thus, whenever you feel pain after sleeping, make sure you purchase WinkBed. Further, the materials used to produce WinkBed mattresses influence the firmness options contributing to this pain relief solution.
- Temperature control: WinkBed, with its Third Layer Heat Disperse technology, provides a cooling experience for you. This technology removes heat and absorbs moisture from your body to provide a calm and good night’s sleep to the sleeper.
- Firmness option: WinkBed provides choices like Softer, Luxury Firm, Firmer, and Plus. These options give you different solutions depending on your favorite sleeping position. Also, WinkBed is 13.5 inches in height, with other structures built for your comfort.
- The Softer model firmness is rated 4.5 out of 10. This option is suitable for side sleepers as well as those with lightweight. Its construction consists of an extra-plush Euro-pillow top with more pressure-relieving foam.
However, there are other firmness options Winkbed Mattress provides. This part will only focus on side sleepers.
This mattress is suitable for
- Hot sleepers
- Combination sleepers
- Lightweight side sleepers that experience back pain
For mid-weight sleepers, the mattress firmness option suitable for you is 5.5 to 6.5 (medium, medium-firm)
Best mattress firmness product for mid-weight side sleepers
Nectar Mattress is an all-foam design mattress suitable for side sleepers. An exciting feature of this mattress is: If you’re on a budget, the Nectar mattress is affordable and comfortable. The value for money of this mattress is unrivaled.
However, despite its value for money, it’s essential to have your experience and feel the product’s weight in mind. Nectar mattress quality is top-notch, which makes it the best budget mattress for side sleepers.
Nectar mattress has the following features:
- Memory foam – an ideal mattress material for side sleepers
- Excellent motion isolation – you won’t be disturbed by your furry friend or couple that moves about on the bed.
- Edge support – the edge support for this mattress is fair.
- It is not suitable for side sleepers who are also hot sleepers.
- The firmness option is medium firm. However, this firmness option would be too hard if you’re a lightweight sleeper.
- Also, if you’re a side sleeper that experiences joint and hip pain, Nectar Mattress is a suitable solution for you
For heavy-weight sleepers, the firmness option suitable for you is 6.5 to 7 (medium-firm, firm)
Best mattress firmness product for heavy-weight side sleepers
A puffy mattress is a bed-in-a-box mattress, which means it’s compressed and delivered in a box to you. It’s an all-foam mattress that’s great for side and combo sleepers. It comes in different types:
- Puffy Original
- Puffy Lux
- Puffy Royal
Puffy Royal is decent for couples due to its incredible motion isolation feature and edge support; if you’re a heavy-weight hot sleeper, this choice of mattress is also suitable for you.
Puffy mattresses come with the following foam layers:
- Gel memory foam – as a side sleeper, when you want to choose a mattress for your convenience, you should pick a mattress with memory foam. Memory foam helps to relieve tension on your shoulders and hips.
- Transition layer – this is the second layer of the Puffy mattress. This part helps in motion isolation.
- Support foam – this last layer helps the Puffy mattress’s bounce responsiveness.
Some exciting features of the Puffy mattress include:
- It’s bounce responsive. In other words, you can move freely on the mattress if you’re a combo sleeper.
- The memory foam retracts faster
- Its firmness option is medium-firm
- It has a washable cover. Thus, you can remove the top surface and wash it in the washing machine.
- It possesses good edge support.
- It has a good motion isolation feature. You won’t worry about your pet or partner disturbing you at night.
- The top cover is stain and soil-resistant.
- It’s an all-foam mattress suitable for side and hot sleepers
- It gives a 101-night of a free trial, as well as a lifetime warranty
How to choose mattress firmness for back and stomach sleepers
For light and mid-weight sleepers, the suitable mattress firmness option for you is 5.5 to 6.5 (medium, medium-firm)
Best mattress firmness product for light and mid-weight back/stomach sleepers
Essentia Tatami Hybrid mattress
Essentia Tatami Hybrid mattress integrates with nature. If you like to choose an eco-friendly mattress, the Essentia Tatami Hybrid mattress is the best option for you.
Essentia Tatami Hybrid mattress is an organic and natural memory foam mattress that provides you, as a back sleeper, with lumbar support, good spine alignment, and a balance of comfort.
Its firmness option is medium firm which is suitable for all body weight sleepers. Stomach sleepers can also enjoy the comfort of this mattress.
Layers of Essentia Tatami Hybrid mattress include:
- Breathable organic cotton
- Natural memory foam
- Natural latex foam
- Recycled steel coils
- Cotton padding
As you can see, the layers used in creating the essential mattress are eco-friendly; thus, you won’t have to worry about allergies and skin irritation when getting this mattress.
Features of Essentia Tatami Hybrid mattress include:
- It’s the best option for eco-friendly shoppers
- Dues to its uniqueness and top-notch organic materials, it’s expensive
- It’s suitable for back and stomach sleepers
- It’s a bed in a box mattress
- Harmless breathable cotton
- It gives you a reasonably cooling temperature when lying on the mattress.
- It supports the hips and spinal alignment
- It gives a good edge support
- It possesses a decent motion isolation feature
- It’s bounce responsive which provides easy mobility on the mattress
- Essentia Tatami Hybrid provides you with 120 nights of free trial and 20 years of warranty
For heavy-weight sleepers, the suitable mattress firmness for you is 7 to 7.5 (Firm or Plus)
Best mattress firmness product for heavyweight back/stomach sleepers
Latex for Less mattress
Latex for Less is an online mattress company that delivers a bed-in-a-box mattresses to its customers. It comes with two sides which makes it flippable. These sides are Talalay latex and Dunlop latex.
- Talalay latex is the medium-firm side suitable for lightweight back and stomach sleepers.
- Dunlop latex is the firm side for heavy-weight back and stomach sleepers
Also, it’s an all-foam mattress with a breathable top, natural wool, and organic cotton cover, which makes the product eco-friendly.
Features of Latex for Less mattress
- It’s an all-foam mattress
- It’s suitable for back and stomach sleepers
- It’s affordable for on-budget mattress hunters
- It helps provide a balance of comfort and hip support for the back sleeper
- It’s a good choice for hot sleepers
- It’s eco-friendly with its organic and natural layers
- Good edge support experience
- It’s easy to move around on the mattress
- The motion isolation for this mattress is generally fair due to the latex material. However, motion isolation is good in the latex mattress industry.
- Latex for less gives you 120 nights of free trial and 20 years of warranty.
Do Firm Mattress last?
Yes, Firm Mattresses last long regardless of your body weight. However, it’s the best choice for heavy-weight back and stomach sleepers.
How do I make my mattress feel like a cloud?
It’s easy. Just buy a memory foam topper to change the feel of your mattress.
Do medium firms get soft?
Yes, they do. At first, its firmness level is firm, but using the mattress gives you that medium-firm comfort.